Prince of Orange, SE16, Surrey Quays

The Prince of Orange pub which once owned the address 118 Lower Road became flats in the 1990's. At Metro Village, we have always been interested by the properties that now stand where the pub once was. After recently selling one property we have been asked to market another, a fabulous one bedroom apartment, so we thought we would look into the history of the pub which once stood and give perspective buyers a little insight into what they are buying. 

The pub takes its name from King William II of the Netherlands who reigned from 1840 until his death in 1849. A popular King who came into power after the abdication of his father. According to Wikipedia William acted with ‘sense and moderation’.

Prior to becoming King, William served for the British Army in the Napoleonic War which, even with the little battle experience he held, his dedication saw him promoted to General by the end of the war. At the age of 23, he fought in the Battle of Waterloo where he was injured.


The Prince of Orange opened its doors in 1859 as a public house serving beer and received its full license in 1874. According to reports Orange Place was named in the early 1800’s which makes the naming of the pub uncommon, the usual practice was to name the street after the pub not the vice versa. Regulars would frequent the public house and with the tram service passing by on Lower Road, the pub was accessible even for back then!

 


From the mid 1970’s and early 1980’s the pub became a popular jazz house and Jools Holland even graced the pub with his musical talents at a very early age.  Fun Fact, the Loose Tubes, a popular Jazz band played their first ever gig at The Prince of Orange. Over the years the venue lost its popularity and a quick revival in the early 1990’s increased the stream of clients but not enough to sustain. Rather than be demolished, as so many local pubs have been, the public house was turned into flats and give the name Prince of Orange Court. Although the interior has changed dramatically, the exterior has kept its Price of Orange pub feel, with even the name above the door remaining.